ABOUT ME

My name is Angelique Midthunder and I am a CrossFit Level 1 Trainer. I am also a CrossFit certified Mobility Instructor & Olympic Weightlifting Instructor. I am a personal trainer exclusively for people working in the film industry. I do personal training for small groups and individuals in the (505) area code (pretty much Santa Fe & Albuquerque areas). I can train you at the gym, home, hotel, production office.. I'll even come to set. For more info and rates Email me at: AngeliqueMidthunder@gmail.com

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Evidence Based Fitness

"CrossFit believes that meaningful statements about 

safety, efficacy, and efficiency, the three most important 
and interdependent facets of any fitness program, can be 
supported only by measurable, observable, repeatable 
facts, i.e., data. We call this approach evidence-based 
fitness”. 
- CrossFit Training Guide, page 2


Today I experienced, once again, CrossFit's empirical methodology. 

The WOD (Workout Of the Day):
Run 1 mile
Row 2 K
Run 1 mile

I started off at an easy pace. I did the run through my neighborhood, which is rural. Very rural. About 1/4 mile out my dog got attacked by a pack of dogs. I had to detour and chase the wild dogs off before continuing on my run. Then I got onto the row. It was my first time on my new rower. It took a moment to figure out the control panel. After the row I had to search around the garage to find the mace I often carry when running. Then I hit the road again. And by "road" I mean rocky dirt and gravel with hills. 


By the time I finished the WOD and hit the stop watch I had completely resolved that I would just have a poor time/score for my records and be happy with the fact that at least I got in a workout today. Last time I did this same workout I ran a loop around a quiet neighborhood that was mostly flat, paved, and with little to no traffic & the rower was one I used often and was very comfortable with. 

I wrote down my sorry time/score for today, then looked up the last time I had done the same workout 5 months ago with premium conditions and had given it my all..  and guess what -- I actually bettered my time/score by almost 2 minutes without even trying and including all those distractions. What a great feeling! 


If that's not empirical evidence of improvement in fitness then I don't know what is.